A unique inn and eco-retreat on a historic ranch just south of Santa Fe, off the Turquoise Trail Scenic Byway, that runs on solar energy, water/energy conservation and other green best practices. Guests enjoy an ambience of rustic elegance, with rooms designed with New Mexico charm, a hand-built cedar hot tub and organic farm-fresh meals. 5 rooms
Rancho Gallina is a unique “eco-retreat” on a historic ranch just south of Santa Fe off the Turquoise Trail Scenic Byway. Guests wake up to clear country air, soak in our hand-built cedar hot tub, take a walk on the grounds or down Arroyo Gallina (from which we take our name), or start the day with world-class cycling right out our front door.
Surrounded by working ranches and public lands, it is the perfect getaway for those seeking sun and solitude. Yet we’re minutes from the culture and amenities of Santa Fe and even closer to the historic mining towns of Cerrillos and Madrid.
A few miles north of the historic San Marcos pueblo and the mining villages of Cerrillos and Madrid, the ranch was built in the 1940s for two pioneering women. It has since been home to cattle ranchers, horse breeders, and artists.
At Rancho Gallina, we provide a tranquil retreat environment that reflects our commitment to sustainability. The comforts of home combined with caring, hands-on support makes for memorable gatherings and celebrations. Retreats, reunions or down-to-earth weddings, Rancho Gallina can expand to 15 beds for a close group of colleagues, friends or family.
The ranch combines the rustic charm of classic New Mexico architecture with modern luxury. Features include:
- Beamed ceilings, saltillo tile floors, romantic Kiva fireplaces, private baths, private and shared verandas and courtyards
- Luxurious down bedding and high quality linens
- Kitchens/kitchenettes stocked with fresh, locally-roasted coffee
- Cedar soaking hot tub, fire pits, courtyard fish pond, multiple hammocks, bocce ball on the grounds
- Farm-fresh, organic meals from our French culinary school-trained chef/owners
- Wifi throughout (but we encourage you to unplug, unwind and relax)
- Outfitting for the active relaxers (daypacks, water bottles, maps, etc.) and plain old relaxers (board games and paperbacks)
- Friendly pets: Shadow the dog, Ziggy the cat (they do not go in guest rooms or ranch house) and of course the gallinas (chickens) that lay our delicious eggs
Your hosts, Mitch and Leslie, serve up some of the best food and coffee anywhere, with loads of experience in the kitchen, including Mitch’s training at the International Culinary Center in NYC. We have cultivated relationships with local organic farms and are proud to serve creative, rustic food, all made from scratch. We have also directed the ranch’s preservation and environmental upgrades. The property is now largely solar-powered, with both high- and low-tech water and energy conservation, from geothermal heating & cooling to composting and xeriscaping in our desert landscape.
We are minutes from phenomenal hiking, including Cerrillos Hills State Park and the iconic Tent Rocks/Kasha Katuwe National Monument. The Bonanza Creek and Eaves movie ranches are just down the road (we’re in the heart of “Tamalewood”). Santa Fe’s dining, galleries and museums are less than half an hour away, and both downhill and cross-country ski destinations are within 45 min.
- For special events we have catered farm to table dinners, with ingredients fresh from our own garden and nearby farms and ranches
Perfect for family gatherings and intimate retreats:
- Sleeps up to 25 guests in 15 beds and our LotusBelle tent for retreats, gatherings, and celebrations.
- Catering, planning and creative support for on-site events